Béatrice Joyeux-Prunel is Full Professor at the University of Geneva in Switzerland (Faculté de Lettres – School of Humanities), chair of Digital Humanities. From 2007 to 2019 she was Associate Professor (maître de conférences) in modern and contemporary art at the École normale supérieure in Paris (ENS, PSL) with an Habilitation à diriger les recherches. She defended her PhD in 2005 at the université Paris I Panthéon Sorbonne. She is a former student of the Ecole normale supérieure de Paris (Alumni 1996, Social Sciences and Humanities), and got an Agrégation in History and Geography in 1999.
Joyeux-Prunel’s research encompasses the history of visual globalization, the global history of the avant-gardes, the visual culture of petroleum, and the digital turn in the Humanities. She has founded and managed Artl@s since 2009. In 2016 she founded Postdigital (www.postdigital.ens.fr), a new research project on digital cultures and imagination. Since Automn 2019 she has led the Jean Monnet Excellence Center IMAGO, an international center for the study and teaching on visual globalization. At Geneva university she directs the SNF Project Visual Contagions (https://visualcontagions.unige.ch), a 4 years research project on images in globalization, which uses computer vision techniques to trace the global circulation of images in printed material over the 20th century.
Béatrice Joyeux-Prunel published books and articles on quantitative, digital, and transnational methodologies in art history :
- Nul n’est prophète en son pays? l’internationalisation de la peinture des avant-gardes parisiennes, 1855-1914 (Paris: Nicolas Chaudun/ Musée d’Orsay, 2009 – Prix du musée d’Orsay).
- L’Art et la mesure: Histoire de l’art et et méthodes quantitatives, sources, outils, bonnes pratiques (Paris: Editions Rue d’Ulm, 2010).
- with Thomas DaCosta Kaufmann and Catherine Dossin (ed.), Circulations in the Global History of Art (London: Routledge, 2015).
She recently published a pocket-book transnational and social reassessment of modern art history
- Les Avant-gardes artistiques. Une histoire transnationale – Vol. 1: 1848-1918 (Paris: Gallimard, Folio Histoire, paperback, 2016).
- Vol.2: 1918-1945 (Paris: Gallimard, Folio Histoire, paperback, 2017)
- Naissance de l’art contemporain. Une histoire mondiale, 1945-1970 (Paris, CNRS Editions, 2021).
After three years teaching on petroleum and art (“Art et civilisation du pétrole”) she is currently preparing a new book project on crude oil, modernity, and contemporary art and culture.